Create an account | Log in to your accountPlace a request

Interlibrary Loan service (ILL) obtains materials that are unavailable in our own collection.  It is available to all current Connecticut College faculty, staff, and students.

Requests for books owned by Trinity College or Wesleyan University may be placed directly through OneSearch.

Tips for Placing Requests:

ILL service is significantly faster if the ISSN or ISBN is included on the request. If you are concerned about receiving your ILL request in time for your paper or project, please include a note on the request indicating the date you need the material by.


Loans arrive faster if the ISBN is included on the request. When a loan arrives, the user will be notified by email and the item will be placed on the Hold shelf at the Shain Library Circulation desk. Loan restrictions may apply to some items and loans can be recalled by the supplying library at any time. 

Please use all borrowed items with care and respect. All undergraduates are subject to fees levied by the lending libraries for lost or damaged materials.

ILL materials should be returned to the Circulation Desk.


Articles arrive much faster if the ISSN is included on the request. Users are notified by email when their requested article or book chapter has been delivered to their Illiad account. Users can use the link in the notification email to access their request, or log in to their Illiad account from the library home page.


Interlibrary Loan (ILL) FAQ


Where is the ILL office located?

The ILL office is located in the Technical Services area behind the reference desk.

When is the ILL office open?

The ILL office is open from 8:00-4:00 Monday-Friday.

How do I contact the ILL office?

You can contact ILL by stopping by our office or emailing

Where do I pick up and return my ILL material?

You can pick up and return your ILL loans at the Shain Library Circulation Desk. Users may pick up ILL requests whenever the library is open. For library hours, click here.

What’s the difference between ILL and CTW?

ILL requests can be for any materials not available at Connecticut College and are placed with your Interlibrary Loan account. ILL materials are picked up at the Circulation desk or electronically delivered to your account. To place an ILL request, click here.

CTW requests are only for books, dvds, cds and other materials owned by Trinity College or Wesleyan University. Requests are placed through OneSearch. CTW requests are picked up at the Circulation desk.

How long does a CTW request take to arrive?

A CTW request should not take more than two days to arrive; you will receive an email when it is ready for pick up at the designated circulation desk. If it does take more than two days to arrive, please contact the ILL office so we can look into it.

How long does it take for an ILL to arrive?

Requests with an ISSN or ISBN number take significantly less time to arrive. From the time you place the request, it takes approximately six days for an ILL loan to arrive and one day for an article request. If you need your material sooner than that, please make a note on the ILL request or contact the ILL office to expedite your request. You will receive an email when your materials are ready for pick up or have been delivered to your account.

How long can I keep a book for?

Due dates for ILL loans vary, but are always printed on the slip on the front of the loaned material.

Can I renew an ILL?

Usually, yes. One renewal is automatically requested for any loans still checked out one week before their due date. If the supplying library grants a renewal, you will receive an email with the new due date. This is the final due date.

I need the book past the due date or renewal date. What should I do?

Contact the ILL office. They can try to obtain another copy of the material for you, and when the new copy arrives you can return the copy you have now.

Can I request textbooks through ILL?

Requests for books on reserve will not be filled. All other requests will be honored, though the usual due dates will apply.